Medtech Insight is part of Informa PLC

This site is operated by a business or businesses owned by Informa PLC and all copyright resides with them. Informa PLC’s registered office is 5 Howick Place, London SW1P 1WG. Registered in England and Wales. Number 8860726.

This copy is for your personal, non-commercial use. For high-quality copies or electronic reprints for distribution to colleagues or customers, please call +44 (0) 20 3377 3183

Printed By

UsernamePublicRestriction
UsernamePublicRestriction

CATARACT SURGERY WAS APPROPRIATE IN UP TO 84% OF MEDICARE PATIENTS

This article was originally published in The Gray Sheet

Executive Summary

CATARACT SURGERY WAS APPROPRIATE IN UP TO 84% OF MEDICARE PATIENTS who underwent the procedure, according to the results of a patient survey conducted by the General Accounting Office at the request of Senate Aging Committee Chairman David Pryor (D-Ark.) and released on April 21. "About three-quarters of Medicare patients reported one or more substantial functional impairments affecting their ability to drive, read or watch television prior to their cataract surgery," GAO states, adding that "these responses generally support the appropriateness of the procedure for these patients." Furthermore, the report continues, "with the inclusion of symptoms such as blurred vision or sensitivity to glare, the proportion of patients with substantial presurgical vision problems increased to 84%." For the remaining 16%, GAO notes, "surgery may have been more questionable...depending on the weight given to 'slight' symptoms and functional limitations relative to the risks of the surgery." Cataract surgery is the largest single procedure reimbursed by Medicare. In 1991, the program paid $3.4 bil. for approximately 1.3 mil. surgeries. The expenditures accounted for roughly 3% of total Medicare outlays. The survey was intended to obtain patient assessments of their symptoms and functional impairments both before and after surgery. A total of 1,964 questionnaires were mailed to a random sample of Medicare beneficiaries in California, Massachusetts, Pennsylvania and Texas. GAO obtained usable responses from 1,488, or 76%. "With respect to the long-term outcomes of the surgery, the overwhelming majority of respondents reported that they improved on one or more symptoms and functional impairments," the report states. "For about two-thirds, this improvement was uniform across all dimensions (that is, the symptoms and functions that did not get better at least stayed unchanged). Most of the other patients reported mixed results, with improvements in some symptoms or functional impairments and worsening in others."

You may also be interested in...



Novartis Logs Into India With Digital Innovation Hub

Novartis’s first digital innovation hub in Asia is launched in India, where the Swiss company hopes to ally with partners to deliver digital solutions for patients at scale.

Rx List Price Inflation Penalty Endorsed By US HHS Secretary

Senate Finance Committee’s approach to penalize companies for raising WAC list prices is not a ‘price control,’ but a reasonable approach to change the incentives that distort pricing in the supply chain, US HHS Secretary Alex Azar says.

Generics Approvals Will Decline, US FDA Predicts, But Supplement Work May Grow

With the pre-GDUFA backlog largely acted upon, the FDA expects ANDA approvals to decrease, but supplement actions to increase in FY 2020 and FY 2021.

UsernamePublicRestriction

Register

MT000525

Ask The Analyst

Please Note: You can also Click below Link for Ask the Analyst
Ask The Analyst

Your question has been successfully sent to the email address below and we will get back as soon as possible. my@email.address.

All fields are required.

Please make sure all fields are completed.

Please make sure you have filled out all fields

Please make sure you have filled out all fields

Please enter a valid e-mail address

Please enter a valid Phone Number

Ask your question to our analysts

Cancel